Ashenfelter, Slous, McDonough, Golia & Trevenen, LLP provides representation in probate and estate administration matters. We can provide step-by-step advice to family members and executors to simplify and speed up the process. Our experienced estate administration lawyers handle these cases regularly, and are knowledgeable about the requirements that must be met.
If you live out of the area, but need assistance in New Jersey Probate Court, we can represent you.
We Guide You Through the Probate Process
Probate is the legal process that you go through after someone dies. During this process the property and assets of the decedent’s estate are transferred to the heirs according the will, if one existed. It is generally a straightforward process, but it can become complex if the will is unclear or if there are disputes to settle. In cases where there was no will the probate process is still used, but the courts determine how the property is to be divided, based on the law.
We can assist executors or family members with any of the tasks associated with probate, including:
- Marshalling assets (taking inventory of and determining the value of assets)
- Distributing assets according to the will
- Filing New Jersey state and inheritance tax returns
- Paying any outstanding taxes or debts
- Counseling heirs and executors on tax issues
- Resolving will contests or disputes
- Addressing estate litigation matters